Budgets for all University programs will be developed annually and promulgated by the Budget Office before the beginning of the fiscal year. The Director of Personnel has the responsibility for reviewing position requests.
A goal of The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is to deliver its educational programs and achieve its educational objectives through sound management practices. Essential to achievement of this goal are sound financial management and human resources management policies and procedures including early requirements definition, comprehensive budgeting, expenditure control, and position management.
Budgeting and position management are closely related in that it is most often through the budget process that action to establish a new position is first initiated. To achieve the goals of improved financial and human resources management at UNC Charlotte, it is University policy that:
- Budgets for all programs will be formulated following an annual schedule and guidance to be promulgated by the Budget Office. Budgets for non-appropriated programs (fee and receipt-supported) as well as appropriated programs will be required in advance of the beginning of the fiscal year. The Budget Office performs the staff function of consolidation, review for accuracy, verification of estimates, and decision on the collective budget recommendations of the Vice Chancellors. Requests for new positions will be included as part of each budget submission.
- Budget requests for new nonfaculty positions will include the following information:
- Position Title
- Location (Department/Office)
- Justification for position
- Funding Source (includes expenditure account number and type of revenue)
- Proposed Category (SHRA or EHRA)
- Budgeted Salary
- Position Value (FTE)
- The Budget Office will provide the Director of Personnel a copy of each nonfaculty position request. Upon receipt of nonfaculty position requests, the Director of Personnel will obtain the following information from the requesting office/department:
- An organization chart of the activity that reflects the addition of each new position.
- A description of duties and responsibilities for each new position.
- A statement justifying exempt status for positions with a proposed category of EHRA.
- Using guidelines established by the Executive Staff, the Director of Personnel will review each position request to determine if the proposed title, classification, and category are appropriate for the duties described. If the Director of Personnel does not concur with the category (SHRA or EHRA) proposed for the requesting position, the appropriate Vice Chancellor will be consulted. In those instances where the Vice Chancellor and Director of Personnel are unable to reach agreement on the proposed category, the request will be referred with documentation to the Chancellor for decision.
- Initial classification of positions to be established as subject to the State Human Resources Act (SHRA) will be accomplished in accordance with University Policy 103.1, Classification of SHRA Positions, and the State Personnel Manual.
- The recruitment process for nonfaculty positions will not be initiated until such time as notification has been received from the Director of Personnel that the position has been established.
- Initially approved November 4, 1985
- Revised July 6, 2000
Responsible Office: Business Affairs